Skip to main content


A requirement came to me that we need to enable timeout in php-curl with timeout values being in millisecond. We cant even wait for a second to curl to terminate. Php uses native curl in unix systems. The curl supports this feature in version>7.19. For our OS the curl version is 7.15. Ofcourse we can install 7.19 using rpm or source

But php had a wrapper module, so all php-curl method call will go to which inturn will call native curl. So is not aware of the timeout_ms in feature and started throwing php errors. 

A hack would be to replace with the one which supports timeout_ms from other version of OS. 
But nobody is interested in this change because if something crashes in production, it would be huge effort and loss. 

I downloaded the Source RPMS(RPM are binary and Source RPMS will have the source code and SPEC file). The SPEC file will take care of configure, make and install part (which we have to do manually if we install from source). I could not find any difference in any file of php SRPM between our OS and newer version of the same distro. 

Since we need this change within week, we decided to upgrade our OS. Upgrading OS can break something which wont be in our sight. We started a sequence of tests in the newer version of OS and came up with a schedule and approval from concerned leads.
Then I was asked why cant we recompile php by my manager during an informal meet. I was pretty much sure recompiling php wont work because both SRPMS dont differ by any means(stupidity 1).

There is a file interface.c in php source code which adds features based on the curl version.

#if LIBCURL_VERSION_NUM > 0x071002

Next my assumption was if I have correct curl(dynamic libraries) before installing php, php-curl would detect the feature automatically(stupidity 2).

This didnt work, php threw an error dependency module not found despite module present(new version).

Lets understand the process of C compilation before understanding this issue
C  preprocesses all source file, header files and compiles them and links static libraries to form binary. Hereafter we dont need the header files to run binaries. 

The same thing happens once we build rpm, we need curl-devel(similar to curl.h files)to build rpm and we dont need them once binary is created. They are called build dependency. 

This php module is built with curl-devel version<7.19. So it requires dynamic library while running. I have to just rebuild php with the latest version of curl-devel to detect 

We were almost prepared for a big change in our infrastructure without looking for an available easier option. 


Popular posts from this blog

How we have systematically improved the roads our packets travel to help data imports and exports flourish

This blog post is an account of how we have toiled over the years to improve the throughput of our interDC tunnels. I joined this company around 2012. We were scaling aggressively then. We quickly expanded to 4 DCs with a mixture of AWS and colocation. Our primary DC is connected to all these new DCs via IPSEC tunnels established from SRX. The SRX model we had, had an IPSEC throughput of 350Mbps. Around December 2015 we saturated the SRX. Buying SRX was an option on the table. Buying one with 2Gbps throughput would have cut the story short. The tech team didn't see it happening. I don't have an answer to the question, "Is it worth spending time in solving a problem if a solution is already available out of box?" This project helped us in improving our critical thinking and in experiencing the theoretical network fundamentals on live traffic, but also caused us quite a bit of fatigue due to management overhead. Cutting short the philosophy, lets jump to the story.

LXC and Host Crashes

 We had set up a bunch of lxc containers on two servers each with 16 core CPUs and 64 GB RAM(for reliability and loadbalancing). Both the servers are on same vlan. The servers need to have atleast one of their network interface in promiscuous mode so that it forwards all packets on vlan to the bridge( ) which takes care of the routing to containers. If the packets are not addressed to the containers, the bridge drops the packet. Having this setup, we moved all our platform maintenance services to these containers. They are fault tolerant as we used two host machines where each host machine has a replica of the containers on the other. The probability to crash for both the servers at the same time due to some hardware/software failure is less. But to my surprise both the servers are crashing exactly the same time with a mean life time 20 days. We had to wake up late nights(early mornings) to fix stuffs that gone down The

The server, me and the conversation

We were moving a project from AWS to our co-located DC. We have setup KVMs scheduled by Cloudstack for each of the component in the architecture. The KVMs used local storage. The VMs are provisioned with more than required resources because we have the opinion that in our DC scaling during peak load and then downscaling doesn't offer much benefits financially as we are anyways paying for the hardware in advance and its also powered on. Its going to be idle if not used. Now we found something interesting our latency in co-located DC was 2 times more than in AWS. The time for first byte at our load balancer in aws was 60ms average and at our DC was 112ms. We started our debugging mission, Mission Conquer-AWS. All the servers are newer Dell hardwares. So the initially intuition was virtualisation is causing the issue. Conversation with the Hypervisor We started with CPU optimisation, we started using the host-passthrough mode of CPU in libvirt so VMs dont see QEMU emulated CPUs,