Skip to main content

HTTP Range Header

There was a huge attack on our infrastructure couple of days before. It didnt follow the regular pattern. So did a lot of googling (google verb!) but eventually we were not to able to successfully find the intricacies employed in the attack. During this literature reference, I came across Partial Get feature in HTTP header. This is the feature used by Download Managers like IDM by spawning multiple threads to download a file. The partial Get request specifies the byte ranges it requires to download.
Eg

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: 127.0.0.1
Range: bytes=0-89

The request requires first 89bytes of the file. There can be more than one chunk requested in the range header. The webserver responds with a 206 code for partial GET.

I have coded a primitive threaded downloader which spawns 10 threads, downloads 10 different chunks of a big file and unite them as a single file. Committed the initial version at github https://github.com/kalyanceg/downloader/blob/master/curler.java. Please do feel free to checkout the code (I will add documentation soon) and develop UI/more feature over it.

To view a demo, checkout the code and run
 java curler <input url>. 
Note: No output will be displayed on the prompt. Will add them to improve usability. Once the program finishes, the file would be downloaded in the same directory where the code is.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons from Memory

Started debugging an issue where Linux started calling OOM reaper despite tons of memory is used as Linux cached pages. My assumption was if there is a memory pressure, cache should shrink and leave way for the application to use. This is the documented and expected behavior. OOM reaper is called when few number of times page allocation has failed consequently. If for example mysql wants to grow its buffer and it asks for a page allocation and if the page allocation fails repeatedly, kernel invokes oom reaper. OOM reaper won't move out pages, it sleeps for some time and sees if kswapd or a program has freed up caches/application pages. If not it will start doing the dirty job of killing applications and freeing up memory. In our mysql setup, mysql is the application using most of the Used Memory, so no other application can free up memory for mysql to use. Cached pages are stored as 2 lists in Linux kernel viz active and inactive.
More details here
https://www.kernel.org/doc/gorman…

How we have systematically improved the roads our packets travel to help data imports and exports flourish

This blog post is an account of how we have toiled over the years to improve the throughput of our interDC tunnels. I joined this company around 2012. We were scaling aggressively then. We quickly expanded to 4 DCs with a mixture of AWS and colocation. Our primary DC is connected to all these new DCs via IPSEC tunnels established from SRX. The SRX model we had, had an IPSEC throughput of 350Mbps. Around December 2015 we saturated the SRX. Buying SRX was an option on the table. Buying one with 2Gbps throughput would have cut the story short. The tech team didn't see it happening.

I don't have an answer to the question, "Is it worth spending time in solving a problem if a solution is already available out of box?" This project helped us in improving our critical thinking and in experiencing the theoretical network fundamentals on live traffic, but also caused us quite a bit of fatigue due to management overhead. Cutting short the philosophy, lets jump to the story.

De…

The server, me and the conversation

We were moving a project from AWS to our co-located DC. We have setup KVMs scheduled by Cloudstack for each of the component in the architecture. The KVMs used local storage. The VMs are provisioned with more than required resources because we have the opinion that in our DC scaling during peak load and then downscaling doesn't offer much benefits financially as we are anyways paying for the hardware in advance and its also powered on. Its going to be idle if not used. Now we found something interesting our latency in co-located DC was 2 times more than in AWS. The time for first byte at our load balancer in aws was 60ms average and at our DC was 112ms. We started our debugging mission, Mission Conquer-AWS. All the servers are newer Dell hardwares. So the initially intuition was virtualisation is causing the issue.

Conversation with the Hypervisor We started with CPU optimisation, we started using the host-passthrough mode of CPU in libvirt so VMs dont see QEMU emulated CPUs, the…